Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Hallow-recap and upcoming Henri Faberge show!

Dress up for Halloween?
Listen, honey, once you become a costume you never need wear one again, I put enough effort on stage and in the day-to-day attire anyways....

Saturday night Tim McCready had a pre-Halloween party and organised a performance of sacred harp singing! Sacred Harp singing! WOW! It is a type of singing that is so unearthly yet meant for the untrained singer. I found it a challenge. I mean I'm a rock n roll singer! But it felt good to get out of the comfort zone and do this kind of choral singing with ten people.


The same could be said for Halloween night. Getting into a zone and out of the comfort zone. It was my first collaboration with W.A. Davison- though we have been friends for a couple of years now and I dig his musical stylez. It was improvisatory, he used snippets of Halloween records altered along with keys.
This was done in a 'haunted house' set up by Henri Faberge, Juliann Wilding, and Joele Walinga. I love these guys and love being a part of their activities, they have good energy and good ideas! The house looked wild! Long red drapes for the entrance. Red lighting. Containers filled with teeth and such. Eerie performances.
I think our piece came off well, I lay naked under a sheer blue sheet on a creepy child's bed that was set up for the house. I imagined myself as a little girl who locked her mother in the basement, then as a creature who makes snakes that form occult formations come out of people's mouths . I could not see a thing but heard some idle chatter: grrrr, but was told after that it went well. Video soon?
A spur of the moment improvised garage rock jam happened in the basement with a member of The Bicycles, an intriguing woman, myself, and Lorenz Peter of Corpusse- man, I forgot about his garage organ roots, thought he was all about space synths! Lorenz and I had never jammed before and we'd known each other foreverrrr.
I asked people for song ideas and started singing about hairless cats, garbage removal, and gingivitis.
What a night.
One guy was dressed as Gary Wilson.

Back to Henri. He's got a big show on Thursday!Total multi-media! I'm in it as a left wing ranting hippy, check this info:
HENRI FABERGE'S FEINT OF HART : EPISODE II
A theatrical serialization of Henri Fabergé's early years.

EPISODE II: Thursday, November 4th
Arbor Room (Hart House, U of T)
DOORS 9PM
SHOW 10PM SHARP
FREE ADMISSION

EPISODE II

FEATURING
ALEX TINDAL
DOLDRUMS
KATHLEEN PHILLIPS
ALLIE HUGHES
ROBERT DAYTON
RANDY LEE
MIGUEL RIVAS
ARNOLD FABER
KAYLA LORETTE
ALANA JOHNSTON
MATT FOLLIOTT

and many more!

No comments: